Advanced Nurse Practitioners (ANP)
We are qualified nurses who have had substantial additional training in order to work at an advanced level.
The expertise of the ANP in primary care (e.g. GP practice) lies in our ability to operate as a ‘generalist’. The ANP provides complete episodes of care for patients of any age and with a wide variety and range of presenting problems and health care needs. This encompasses the provision of evidence based, high-quality care for patients whose issues fall within: urgent/acute episodes, long-term/chronic conditions, health promotion and public health. (RCN, 2012)
The advanced nurse practitioners at this practice are:
We work closely with the other members of the primary care team which includes the GP’s, practice nurses, pharmacist and midwife.
Examples of problems you can see us for include:
- Minor illness – e.g. coughs/colds/rashes/diarrhoea & vomiting/urinary problems/flu/stomach pains/ear problems/gout/neck pain/piles/back pain etc.
- Minor injury – Any limb/joint problem/back pain/cuts and wounds/head injuries etc.
- Chronic illness – Problems with your Asthma/COPD, chronic lung problem/High blood pressure/Cholesterol/Diabetes.
- Contraception – Problems or concerns/questions about your pills, coil, emergency contraception.
- Women’s health – Vaginal discharge / pelvic pain / abnormal vaginal bleeding / heavy periods.
- Medication concerns – Concerns or questions about your medication. Our Practice Pharmacist can also see you for this reason.
None of these lists are exhaustive
As ANP’s we can request investigations if your condition indicates they are needed. These include blood tests, urine tests, swabs, x-rays and ultrasounds. We can refer you to other services if required. This includes, but is not limited to, the hospital for specialist opinions or to services in the community.